Old Jan 19, 19, 4:33 am
tris06

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Sorry to be harsh but to be honest it was not hard to get platinium until even a few years ago. Too many people would love to get a few perks for little loyalty. Plat qualification really toughened up in 2016 to 2017.
I think 1 person a year or two ago complained Accor took away their plat membership when they got it for free (Some sign up) and did like 2 stays over a couple of years. Accor learnt a lesson I think.

I think it is a little better now with less plats too. I rack up 40,000-50,000 points each year with promos currently which easily qualified under the old program. Now I barely get over the 14k for plat. With some added benefits like the free breakfast in Asia (hopefully expanded worldwide), soft landings introduced (big plus) plus it seems some hotels are going above a beyond to make their top members happy (Impressed Raffles was upgrading above junior suite from what we hear)and personally some fantastic treatments last year.

Status matches for airlines and hotels are less common than before (5-10yrs ago) that is for sure. My preffered airline offered elite membership like candy to a baby for elites from competing alliances. It has not been offered for a few years which tells you something.

I think status matches maybe could work if the company required you to book non refundable stays over a certain value before gifting a status match.