FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Tourist In North Korea
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:24 pm
DanielW

Day 0.

Outside Terminal 1 at Dubai Airport at 10pm, ready to begin my journey to North Korea.

And on the train to Concourse D after checking in and passing through security and immigration.

This was my third attempt to visit North Korea. I had planned a New Years trip two years ago but had to cancel because of work commitments. I had booked another trip the following year to see the Wonsan Air Festival but unfortunately the airshow was cancelled with mounting geopolitical tensions and downgrading of US and UK travel advisories to the country..

Determined to finally visit this very interesting and unique country I had booked a tour through Koryo Tours coinciding with the 70th Anniversary National Day of North Korea. A few weeks after I had booked it was announced that after a five year hiatus the Mass Games were returning and would coincide with my tour.

In the Marhaba lounge for some dinner.

My flights for the trip were:
Day 0: Flying Air China (CA) from Dubai to Beijing (DXB-PEK).
Day 2: Flying Air Koryo (JS) from Beijing to Pyongyang (PEK-FNJ).
Day 9: Flying Air China (CA) from Beijing to Dubai (PEK-DXB).

Although it was only an extra €50 for the flight, for the return from Pyongyang to Beijing I opted to take the train via Dandong.

The Air China A330 waiting at the gate. It was possible to also fly direct on Emirates but the timing of the Air China was better suited as I needed to be at Koryo Tours in Beijing at 2:30pm tomorrow for the obligatory pre-tour briefing.

Onboard ready for departure with the safety briefing now under way. North Korea was one of my last 'Don't tell Mum' countries so it was bittersweet to be finally going.

Drink and sandwich served soon after take-off. I then put on my eye shades and ear plugs to get a few winks.