FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question for Explorists - Do you ever get upgraded?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:32 pm
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I was upgraded to a true suite once back in the small period of time I was a Discoverist. I was upgraded once as an Explorist to a preferred type room in the small period as a explorist as well. Not a lot of datapoints, but the four stays I had with Hyatt as a member pre-Discoverist, I was given a very sorry room in each and every case (not just a bottom floor base level room, but one that would also face the air conditioning units or a blank wall or was located right next to an exterior door that shut with a loud slam anytime someone used it). I think the FT community is mostly disconnected from the reality that most any hotel has a fair quantity of these types of room. With my six stays as a Discoverist, and two stays as an explorist, It very least got me out of the pits of room choices -- in every case I was given at least a decent room and did get the two upgrades mentioned above.

So, the language is ambiguous, but I will go out on a limb from personal experience to go ahead and say that there is a benefit when it comes to room assignments even having a mid-tier status. Not sure if disc vs exp is different, but it is better from being nothing.