Old Jan 18, 19, 3:30 am
Ikaz

Programs: IHG Plat, AF/KL Gold
Accor used to be my chain of choice as it was easy to earn plat status with the bonus points offers and I could plan enough UK stays for the "Stay 3x2 nights and earn 6000 points" and burn all of my points when staying in Sofitels in Asia where the cost/quality is very high as a platinum member.
When Accor added the AccorHotelsArena to their portfolio of rewards, I was really pleased at it is an experience that me and my partner really enjoy. I have booked a couple of events that I wasn't really interested in just because we have enough points and like spending the weekend in Paris.
What I like about a chain is to be able to earn with cheaper hotels in Europe and get the rewards of top-tier status from the luxury hotels in Asia, Accorhotels is perfect in this sense as all hotels we have stayed at in Asia have had a lounge so we get free breakfast and usually an amazing treatment as platinum members.

Now my situation has significantly changed and most of my stays are in the UK for work and outside the UK for leisure. We plan our holidays fairly last minute too, so I can no longer make use of the Accor 6000 points promos as I can't book in advance.

Looking at 2018, I stayed ~170 nights in hotels, 80% of these nights were for work.
My main clients were in the middle of nowhere so no points earning this year from stays. 90% of my work stays were booked directly with the hotel.

My main trip this year was 3 weeks in Asia. As I am no longer platinum with accor, we didn't include a single accor stay (as a platinum I would usually stay at Sofitel hotels) and I stayed in Marriott/Hilton hotels instead.
Our 1-off stays wouldn't be enough to qualify for platinum with Accor any more, so it is more valuable to go for the IHG accelerate promos, and have shifted our random nights there.

All of this leads to a year where I have soft landed to Silver with Accor with only 2 stays.

This year will be very different and I have a lot more opportunities to book chains for work, I just need to decide on a chain that will most benefit me for leisure trips really.