Old Jan 17, 19, 5:33 pm
escape4

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by Kobetraveller View Post
Anyway, here in Southeast Asia I have been extremely happy with Accor and am winding down my association with Marriott.

I am extremely happy with the quality, range and number of Le Club participating Accor properties in Southeast Asia. We now have top class brands such as Raffles and Banyan Tree (as well as Fairmont and Sofitel), Orient Express is coming and then there are a huge number of more affordable properties (Pullman, Novotel, Grand Mercure, Mercure), as well as the very affordable economy brands, and a few smaller but interesting brands such as MGallery, Angsana etc. I am also content with the various Points promotions. Importantly, for me, I have been extremely happy with Platinum treatment at many/most Accor properties, depending on the particular management culture, staff numbers and attitudes. I have not missed "Ambassador" treatment at these properties at all.
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
In APAC, no doubt Accor/LCAH is great (the same can likely be true for other hotel groups), but I am very happy with Accor there (100% of my stays or close to).
Interesting views, I have the opposite experience so I would like to hear more details about what led both of you to this conclusion? Especially for APAC.

I find that not enough Accor hotels have lounges so that limits the value of Platinum status relative to other hotel chains. In addition, in my experience suite upgrades are less frequent at Accor although I am sure that varies a lot depending on which hotels you go to and what cities so others could very well argue for the contrary and we can all be right. It comes down to doing the research in advance to know which individual properties are stingy and which ones have great elite benefits. So I end up being flexible of my choice of hotel chains based on feedback from FTers on individual properties.

Yes Accor has a wide range of brands, but so do others, no? From Hampton Inn to Waldorf for Hilton, from Aloft to St.Regis for Starwood / Marriott, and from Hyatt Place to Park Hyatt for Hyatt. So I am not sure I am missing much in that range that I would feel Accor is helping me materially by offering something others do not have.

In 2019 I intend to renew Accor Platinum in large part because it's easy to achieve on spending if you stay mostly at Fairmonts so I only need a handful of nights to get it done. But that means the lion's share of my night count will go to Marriott+Hilton+Hyatt to renew top tier at those chains and Accor is my #4 choice.

In many cities where there is a Fairmont I am facing the situation where I can get free lounge + breakfast + suite upgrades at competing chains, or a more modest room upgrade at Fairmont, no lounge, and no breakfast, although with better service and sometimes better hardward. Sometimes Fairmont can still come out ahead, but many times the answer is no. In cities where there is a Sofitel at least I get breakfast unlike Fairmont, but many of Sofitels do not have a lounge so there is a similar disincentive to stay at Sofitel when there is a JW Marriott or Grand Hyatt across the street.

Overall I am happy with Hyatt Globalist but they do not have much footprint so by default they cannot get the majority of my stays. Those go to Hilton+Marriott/Starwood. No program is perfect but I do find the grass greener outside of Accor. That said, Accor has some good properties in some parts of the world so I am not tossing them to the curb - there is some value there.

The key is to have a balanced and thoughtful approach.