FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unaware of separate ticketing baggage policy, I paid the price. Don’t like it!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:40 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by donotblink
I know everyone on here wants to flame the OP, but I tend to agree with the OP that the policy sucks. I'm also of the mindset that SWU's shouldn't expire, but then again, I guess there's a reason Doug Parker is running AA and I'm not.
I guess you weren’t around when SWU (knownn as VIP, VIPOW, etc.) expired one year from when they were earned. Once they became electronic, AA told us we’d be able to see them in our accounts. It took so long to accomplish what they and we thought would be a minor programming tweak they extended the life of an SWU to the remainder of the current status year and through the next one, too.

Doug Parker wasn’t at the helm, and he hasn’t reset SWU longevity to the original time period.

He was at the helm when oneworld put this awful policy in place, he endorsed it and it’s perfectly legitimate to complain about this policy. Some oneworld airlines in fact rescinded it.

But being unaware of policy and terms and conditions in a world where airlines are in control and can establish all kinds of self-serving policies and impose one-sided contracts of adhesion on their customers, that’s on us, IMO. Drive defensively, fly defensively, travel defensively.