Old Jan 17, 19, 10:44 am
BotB

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
As others have said, it depends on where you travel, your budget and your tastes as all of these will influence where you feel comfortable and can afford as well as what is available.

I'd expect many if not most on FT to be trying to game the system where possible with status matches, good promotions, leverage of points, etc...

In my case, I use Hilton as my main program and put about 1/3 of my total nights per year their way. They have coverage where I end up most weeks in the office and the points earning is fair plus breakfast is a nice benefit. Lots of negatives just like any other program though.

Accor used to be my second go to program (I was originally a Plat through Amex) and still stay enough to get Gold easily but not quite enough now to get Plat as my Vienna experience has me going elsewhere these days. I generally love the Sofitels and the Pullman/MGallery concepts, the breakfasts are good but never free and points or IT is abysmal with Accor. I don't travel to France so can still use Accor

I now tend to be more freelance with other chains or private hotels for the rest of the time and split between a few chains where they are good hotels and are convenient for that destination (Hyatt, Rosewood, Melia, etc...)

I have no qualms about using independents or hotels not in a chain I regularly use anymore though, there is no loyalty from either side anymore, only convenience on both sides and that is a good thing to remember these days.

Safe travels, as others have said, the grass is a different shade over there, it is not greener, however, you may like to sample that shade now and then.