FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A New Year’s Travel Extravaganza Featuring AF, CI, SQ, LX, BA, EI, EY, LH, KM and KL
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:48 pm
William Agius

Part 7: Sydney to Townsville with Jetstar

Here's the link to the photos.

INTRODUCTION

In language testing, the Rasch model is used in psychometric measurement to determine the probability with which a minimally competent test taker will be able to provide a specific response to a particular test item correctly. This probability is interpreted as a function of the test taker’s actual language ability on the one hand, and the true level of difficulty of the item that the test taker is being submitted to and for which they must provide a response on the other hand. As it happens, one of the leading experts on Rasch modelling is Professor Trevor Bond. Very kindly, Professor Bond has accepted for me to visit him in Townsville to pick his brain, and so that’s where I’m heading today.

Currently, the only direct service between Sydney and Townsville is with Jetstar, QANTAS’ low-cost subsidiary. All other connections require a change of aircraft in either Cairns or Brisbane. The booking process on the Jetstar website is tedious, especially if you’re using Firefox. In which case, you’re likely not going to be able to complete the booking. Safari works reasonably well though.

GETTING TO THE AIRPORT
To get to the airport, I make the same journey I did on Monday when I flew to Melbourne. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. Because the journey by ferry from Manly to Sydney is just so beautiful and tranquil.

CHECK-IN
Jetstar has an app, but obviously it’s not foreseen that people from Switzerland, or at least with a Swiss mobile will fly Jetstar. Which is why the app is not available for me to download. However, you will receive a link to the web check-in page with the e-ticket confirmation you receive by mail and then one day before departure by SMS. But you will have to print that boarding pass at home or at one of the self-service devices at the airport.Jetstar operates out of domestic Terminal 2, along with all other domestic carriers except QANTAS.

AIRSIDE
My flight will be departing from gate 53, which is both good and bad. It’s good, because from gate 53 you have a more or less unobstructed view of the aircraft on the approach. It’s bad, because really I should be reading up about objective standard setting in Professor Bond’s book without distraction, to brush up a little on Rasch before I meet him. But it’s like a compulsion, every time I see a movement in the corner of my eye, I have to check what type of aircraft/airline it is…

BOARDING
Boarding starts with a minor delay. As I pass the gate, the attendant checking my boarding pass asks me if I’m aware of the fact that I’m sitting on the emergency exit. I tell her I am, but her next question catches me slightly off guard, because she asks me when was the last time I flew and sat on the emergency exit? I do a quick think and tell her that must have been two days previously. And for some reason that catches her off guard. Eventually though, she smiles and wishes me a pleasant flight.

CABIN
The cabin looks well-kept and clean. I’m not sure if it’s intentional or not, but the orange colour in the Jetstar logo, which also features in the cabin, seriously reminds me of easyJet. But maybe that just lies in the nature of the beast.Seat pitch on the emergency exit it good. But there are no video screens or electricity/USB plugs on board this aircraft.

CREW
There are five cabin crew on this flight. The young man standing by the emergency exits is kind of strange, because he looks preoccupied and rather unhappy. But I think it must be just his normal face, because he’s actually rather friendly and accommodating once the flight gets underway.

THE MEAL
The Jetstar website allows you to purchase a whole list of ancillary services, including seat reservations, ‘comfort kits’, and food. I order the sandwich trio online, which comes with a hot drink included.

ARRIVAL
The flight to Townsville take two hours and fifteen minutes. The landscape on the approach is fascinating. It’s quite hilly and very green. The airport sprawls over a vast area, mainly because it is a mixed military and civilian facility. The actual passenger terminal is rather small though, with only a handful of gates and no segregation of arriving and departing passengers. Accordingly, it takes me all of three minutes from stepping off the plane to arriving curb side, where I’ve arranged to meet Professor Bond.

CONCLUSION
There really isn’t very much I can say about Jetstar. They delivered me to Townsville safely. Other than that, the flight was unremarkable and calm. Pretty much like taking the bus actually.