Old Jan 16, 19, 9:03 pm
Kobetraveller

I have moved in the opposite direction starting last year.

I completely agree that choice of Loyalty programme/s depends on your main travel destinations (regions), and that the grass is not always greener elsewhere. I will also add that benefits of elite status can be cut by these massive Hotel chains depending on economic conditions/average hotel occupancies, and agree that elite status does not necessarily work as we hope when there are lots of other guests with the same or higher status in the hotels we choose.

Anyway, I can only comment on my recent move to Accor staying so far in only four Southeast Asian countries: Malaysia (my base), Indonesia, Singapore and Cambodia. (Next target: Thailand)

For three years I have held Marriott's Bonvoy Ambassador status (new and current name). I became eligible when it was just SPG Ambassador (old Starwood), then the status name changed to Marriott Platinum Premier with Ambassador.

Anyway, here in Southeast Asia I have been extremely happy with Accor and am winding down my association with Marriott. I keep the status until February 2020 but my final paid Marriott Stay was June 2018. Since then I have just been redeeming nights with Marriott until my points balance reaches zero.

We all know that Accor's IT and centralized customer service needs to be improved. So does Marriott's now. For me, they cancel each other out.

However, I am extremely happy with the quality, range and number of Le Club participating Accor properties in Southeast Asia. We now have top class brands such as Raffles and Banyan Tree (as well as Fairmont and Sofitel), Orient Express is coming and then there are a huge number of more affordable properties (Pullman, Novotel, Grand Mercure, Mercure), as well as the very affordable economy brands, and a few smaller but interesting brands such as MGallery, Angsana etc. I am also content with the various Points promotions. Importantly, for me, I have been extremely happy with Platinum treatment at many/most Accor properties, depending on the particular management culture, staff numbers and attitudes. I have not missed "Ambassador" treatment at these properties at all.

Anyway, taste in hotels/Platinum treatment is very subjective. I just want what works for me and do not want to compete with anybody or convert anybody or get angry at anybody who doesn't like what I like.

And I also agree that excellent value with Platinum type benefits can also be found with OTAs such as Agoda etc etc. Judging from the many informative contributions and photos uploaded here, I may not be quite so content with Accor if I were mainly staying in Europe or North America. So as a European I can understand your interest in allying yourself with a second chain.

If you want to be serious with Marriott status then I suggest aiming for 75 nights to qualify for Titanium status (the new name for Platinum Premier). Otherwise you may find that there are too many other guests who are above you in the pecking order when you check into many hotels.

Good luck to you !

Last edited by Kobetraveller; Jan 16, 19 at 9:09 pm