FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-Members in NEXUS / Global Entry / Ready Lanes at Land Crossings
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:49 pm
arttravel

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Kate2015
Fair enough on the lines. But how can I not be held liable, though? It's my car, registered in my name. If my husband or kids sneaks something in and I don't know about it, doesn't that fall on me? I'm actually becoming very uncomfortable with this...
How many people are going with you in the car. You are responsible for what is in the car, so if your kids left a citrus fruit or something that would be a problem. But isn't that the same issue using global entry, in that someone we live with could slip something into our baggage?

I believe that there are people that have tried to claim that they were duped into carrying illicit/illegal substances when they crossed the border (not just Canada/US, worldwide), and I think the people caught were held legally liable.

I am not sure how big the car is, but is it hard to look under seats, etc, for food items and such? I would always do a quick check before crossing the border in my car, and when I went with friends hey were people that I trusted, so I knew that there were no bad things. The last time I went was with a friend who does not have GE and it was her car, so we took the regular lane.

I could see the driver of the car getting into trouble if some illicit substance was found in the car and everyone denied it.