FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:09 pm
Reetmafreen

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This same complaint comes up on here about every day now. There's no denying that AA is very stingy with premium award space on its own metal. However with a little flexibility I am never able to replicate the same level of "nothing is available ever!!!" that is often thrown around.

For example, you say you can't find any space on anything "international," yet you mention BA, so are you specifically looking for Europe? A quick 5 min search at aa.com, filtered to show AA metal results only, reveals tons of dates over the next 3 months with sAAver business space open. I searched ORD-LHR/ZRH/BCN/FRA, etc.

ORD-LHR for example:
did you check to make sure that AA weren’t routing you say ORD-PHL-LHR with ORD-PHL in domestic F and the TATL leg from PHL-LHR in Y. That’s what I typically find is the case. I was looking for SAAVER from SAN to SYD via LAX. In every instance the international flight was in Y, so in effect you were paying an extra 40,000 miles to sit up front on the little puddle jump from SAN to LAX.

There should be a filter to say that you only want to see availability for the cabin requested. I will sometime look for a SAN-LHR routing and I will be offered LAX, DFW, or JFK and see 57,500 miles pop up, but as above, the TATL flight is in Y.