FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sandals or similar that will last?!
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:44 am
Need

Originally Posted by nancypants
I’m not 100% sure on my shoe anatomy to explain but essentially the two layers of sole peel away from each other, usually within 1-2 months. I string them out for up to 12 months (due to them being a bit pricey to replace!) with super glue but it’s like a weekly to fortnightly game of gluing the sole back on and eventually it gets to daily and I lose the will to live with it

I think that's probably unique to the thong type of sandals. I think thong on the birks go thru the top layer but not thru the sole. So if you toes are pulling up on the thong, it would try to separate the 2 layers. I wear the non-thong birks (arizona) and never seen the 2 layers separate. Maybe you could find a good local cobbler and see if he/she could reinforce a pair of sandals that you like. A while ago I had a pair of sandals that I really like but the top layer was completely destroyed by my feet and rain. A local cobbler was able to repair it and put a top layer of leather for faction of the cost of a new pair.

If you don't mind wearing EVA material sandals, I would also recommend the Birks EVA lines. I have a pair of EVA Arizona and loved them. I bought them for Costa Rica because it is wet all the time and cork and water does not mix. But ended up wearing them quite often because they are super comfortable. I think they made the thong version called Gizeh EVA but it doesn't have back strap though:
https://www.birkenstock.com/us/gizeh...=3720#start=24

Last edited by Need; Jan 15, 2019 at 8:50 am