FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TK Mileage Accrual for LH Operated Flight Booked on UA Website, Class Question
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:48 pm
dozerman94

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by Maux
I don't understand what you are talking about. If you fly LH W, you earn LH W on TK based on the chart i attached. I don't understand the problem with the codeshare
It is not certain that OP is flying LH W. Let me try to explain.

When you book a codeshare flight marketed by one carrier (UA in this case) but operated by another carrier (LH), the booking code and fares can get mixed up. For example, let's say you book the codeshare flight UA9127 in L class. On UA's booking system that will show as UA9127 in class L, but on LH's booking system that ticket could show as LH1305 in class S. Since LH is the operating carrier, they will be the one telling your FFP about your flight details for accrual, so you will be credited LH S, not UA L. For codeshares there is no certain way of knowing (that I'm aware of) what class you are flying on the operating airline's system. You have to know how UA fares map to LH fares to deduct which class you are on. That info is usually not shared with customer service agents.

The example I used was purely fictional, I don't know if UA L really maps to LH S, it probably doesn't. As I said on an earlier post, I believe LH and UA fares and classes map to the same on each other systems, but that might not be the case.