FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A New Year’s Travel Extravaganza Featuring AF, CI, SQ, LX, BA, EI, EY, LH, KM and KL
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:59 pm
William Agius

Part 5: Sydney to Melbourne in Virgin Australia Economy Class

Here's the link to the photos!

INTRODUCTION

Next year I’ll be going on sabbatical for six months. Right now, the plan is that I will spend at least part of those six months working and living in Melbourne – if they’ll have me, of course. So today I’m on my way to Melbourne to introduce myself to the people at the language testing research centre of Melbourne University.

GETTING TO THE AIRPORT
This has to be just about the coolest commute to an airport ever! My day starts at 06h00 in the morning, when I leave the house I’ve rented in Fairlight and make my way down to Manly wharf for the 06h35 fast ferry to Circular Quay. The journey into Sydney takes roughly thirty minutes to complete and includes some of the most beautiful abd spectacular vistas of the Opera House and Hanger Bridge.At Circular Quay, I transfer to the railway station for the suburban trains to Sydney airport. The station is just opposite the wharf at Circular Quay and the journey to the domestic terminal at Sydney airport takes just over fifteen minutes. The trains run to the airport run frequently.

CHECK-IN
I alight at the station for the Domestic terminal, which is one stop before the international terminal. There are two domestic terminals. Terminal 3 is for QANTAS, while Terminal 2 is for everybody else. I’ve already checked-in online using the Virgin Australia app, which is a good thing because the Virgin Australia counters look very busy.

LOUNGE / AIRSIDE
And so I head directly for the security checkpoint. Access to the Virgin Australia lounge is on the right side, just as you exit from security. I’m not entirely sure, but as an Etihad Gold member I think I’m entitled to use the Virgin Australia lounge despite the fact that I’m travelling on an Economy Class ticket. But it turns out the a) the lounge is way too busy and b) the views outside the lounge are much better, with the sitting area for the food court located right by the windows overlooking the domestic apron.

BOARDING
Boarding starts exactly on time and there is a separate lane for Business Class and priority passengers. If this were Europe, the moment the gate agent announced that boarding had started, there’d be a scrum to get on the plane. But here in Australia, passengers obviously have better manners and just wait until their group for boarding is called.

CABIN
The cabin of this aircraft is nice. It looks and smells new and with the grey seats it looks rather elegant. This aircraft also has those new style overhead bins that drop down, instead of the old-school bins you still find on many narrow-bodies, where the lid opens upwards.Seat pitch on the emergency exit is also good. I addition, the flight is not completely full, which means that by the time boarding is completed, the middle seat remains empty.And then we have a problem. The captain comes on the loudspeaker to inform us that Melbourne tower has had to be evacuated and it is unclear if they will be receiving traffic any time soon. Eventually though, we push back with a delay of one hour. The flight time is announced as one hour and five minutes.

CREW
The crew on this flight consists of five attractive young females. Whoever selects the female crew clearly has a type, because they all look the same and they’re all wearing way too much make-up. Other than that, they seem okay, if not exactly very warm.

SERVICE
In Economy Class Virgin has a strange mixed concept, the merit of which kind of escapes me. Tea, still water and a protein bar are complimentary. In addition to that, there are various items to eat and drink which can be purchased on board. Payment is possible in cash or by credit card. I order a Coke Zero to drink, which costs AUD3. The protein bar however, is a total abomination. It’s disgusting, to the point where they make you wonder why on earth to they even bother in the first place? Having said that, the bulging biceps on 13C seems only too eager to demolish his bar. Wouldn’t want to start losing muscle mass would we…?

ARRIVAL
Eventually, we land in Melbourne at 11h35, only slightly behind schedule. I step outside and catch the Skybus heading for the city centre to Southern Cross station. The journey to the city takes about thirty minutes, a return tickets costs AUD38.