FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA flight to Austin Texas
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:51 am
Cap'n Benj

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by HenleyBoy
Thank you TedToToe. That's very helpful. A 50% chance of a refurbished is not good enough for me. So sadly it looks like I shall probably give BA a miss. After I posted my question I looked at some of the comments on the old BA 747s in this very forum. And it seems that some of the BA747s are in a woeful state. We struggle on these long flights in economy at the best of times, so the prospect of 10 or so hours in a decrepit 747 does not appeal. I flew on a United 787 last year and the newer plane definitely made it more bearable. Talking of United, can I assume a United 777 (a 200 to Houston) will be significantly better than an old non refurbished BA 747? Grateful for any comments.

Just as an aside. I read some of the press reports on BA switching to a 747 from a 787 on the London Austin route. Obviously BA were trying to spin it as some sort of upgrade. A chance to fly the "Queen of the Skies".
I'd take an iPad before a connection.

Any change, the associated bag pick up, re-check, security, other associated stresses, before you even consider the bare minimum of a couple of hours extra journey time are in no way worth a decent video screen when you can bring your own so easilly.

I'd choose 3-4-3 on a 747 before 3-4-3 on a 777 any day of the week too