FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four Seasons on Lanai
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:08 pm
747FC

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My wife and I are thinking about a weeklong trip to the islands around the first week of July. Neither of us have been to Lanai before, but if we go, I think it'd make sense to do it big and stay at the Four Seasons, which seems like the luxury hotel to be at on the island. Does anyone have past experience / opinions about the hotel and if it is worth it? For reference, we would like compare against Kauai, as that is the other main island my wife has not been to (I was in the Hanalei Bay area, but that was almost 20 years ago...so I don't mentally count it )
Hard to say whether it is worth it for you. It is a luxury product on a very small island that has few diversions. If relaxing at a resort pool or beach, golf, tennis, skeet shooting, visiting quaint local stores, etc. is a good way for you to spend your time, you may really like it. Alternatively, if you like action akin to Waikiki, you will be unhappy there.

If you do go there, you might want to read up on the history of the island and its transformation from an unsustatinable pineapple plantation run by Dole Company, to resort destination envisioned by billionaire David Murdoch. Murdoch was a much hated figure by many locals, but single-handedly saved the island from becoming a welfare state by his huge infrastructure investment. Larry Ellison is the most recent billionaire to have a go at making the island economically successful.