FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it me or is it pointless to collect miles?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:06 pm
Athena53

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
IMO, ALMOST pointless. I'm single so the cost of a Business Class TATL trip isn't as catastrophic as it is when a couple or a family of 4 is traveling. I choose based on whatever airline has the best price and itinerary and hasn't had bad headlines lately. So, I end up with small piles of points on a few airlines. Typically they accumulate faster on AA because I have LT Gold status and I use them when it makes sense for the free checked bags, etc. I just got the AA MC for the sign-on bonus and because the "pile" was getting big enough that adding a sign-on bonus would get me very close to a Business Class TATL to Europe. I may drop that card and do that with DL (about 50,000 miles in the account) next.

I'd thought of trying to use miles to Australia in Business. What a joke. My brother, who still flies a lot on business, managed to get tickets for my SIL to accompany him on a business trip there. For 400,000 miles. Same for Hawaii. I just booked Hawaii and paid for it outright because the number of miles they wanted was so crazy.