Old Jan 13, 19, 6:29 am
Jainzar

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by SuloL View Post
2. You can upgrade any cash tickets as well as normal redemptions. But don't use points to pay for a part of your flight.
[...]
4. Yes, except maybe those combinations of cash+points (someone more knowledgeable may confirm this)
5. IMO, You should absolutely NEVER use points as a method of co-payment (i.e. points + money). Just booked a flight and had a bit of fun to see what AY values those points at: I could've used 400k points and gotten less than 900€ off the ticket price. For that, I can redeem 2.5 roundtrips in J. You can also waitlist for awards.
2 & 4 & 5: Booking class X (award ticket & points + money offer) is upgradable by vouchers. If you buy a regular ticket and pay a part with your points then you should (not tested) hold a regular ticket with an earning booking class. And that is upgradable by vouchers and points.

Concerning the price comparison: please be aware that award tickets are flexible while cheap Y and also J tickets are not.

The best reference for any questions regarding upgrades is The Big Upgrade Thread.