FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emetebe Air Taxi Review
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:15 pm
dc2005b

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Emetebe Air Taxi Review

Isabela (IBB) - San Cristobal (SCY)

I recently returned from a trip to the Galapagos Islands. Instead of taking a cruise I did a self directed land based trip to three of most accessible islands (San Cristobal, Santa Cruz & Isabela). This review will highlight an unique air taxi experience I had. Instead of taking a “ferry” boat with a stop in Santa Cruz, I choose to fly on Emetebe air taxi between Isabela and San Cristobal islands. Overall I was very happy with the decision, especially after the experience on ferry from Santa Cruz to Isabella.

I made a reservation via emetebe.com.ec for my flight. The price was $195 plus about $66 in taxes/fees and I had to pay via paypal. During the booking I was presented with the option of paying $20 extra for the ”co-pilot” seat which I of course paid for. During my visit to Galapagos I heard from other travelers that you could obtain last minute tickets a for about $30 cheaper close to departure, so if your schedule is flexible it is worth noting there are Emetebe offices in town on all the islands they fly to.

Departure
I took a taxi from hotel in Isabella to the airport for $1.50. I’m not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't this. I’m not sure if it was built and then looted or never really finished, but the facility is crumbling around itself. There did not appear to be any working electricity in the passenger areas (all outlets & fixtures stripped away leaving exposed hanging out of walls) and most of the bathrooms were not operational. Don't bother arriving more than 20 minutes in advance unless you want to look around. Upon arrival of the Emetebe rep my baggage was weighed and I needed to pay for overweight in cash (like most of Isabela transactions, cash only)

Flight
The plane was a Britten-Norman Islander BN-2. Before departure the Captain gave a pre-flight briefing to passengers and then gave me the “co-pilot” an additional briefing which basically amounted to not touching anything. Passengers were provided with industrial hearing protection and left to their own devices for the flight. We flew at a relatively low altitude and I had nice views of the islands upon departure and arrival. It was a quick 35 minute flight and much smoother than taking a boat transfer and at a fraction of the time.

Arrival
Upon landing at San Cristobal we taxied directly to the Emetebe hangar located next to the passenger terminal. After waiting for bags to be unloaded from the plane it was a 2 minute walk to the terminal and my hotel arranged taxi was waiting outside the doors.

Summary
Without question I would recommend Emetebe for inter-island flights in the Galapagos. The various ferry boat options are long and rough, bordering on violent. Emetebe provides quick and scenic way to travel between islands.