FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aussies (foreigners) hiring a rental car in the USA?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:44 pm
Adam1

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Just thought I would pass this on for anyone interested on the subject;

I wrote an email to Avis' worldwide customer service department questioning the idea of booking through their UK website as a non UK/European resident.

Their response advised to book through your regional website, as if your drivers license did not match the website's region that you booked from, it may affect your rate at the counter.

Now I am not surprised that the company did not advise me to book through the cheaper website, although I am not sure how convinced I should be about their reasoning.
I have read a few reports of non UK/European residents booking through a rental company's UK website - and these people did not mention any changes to their rate before, during or after their rental.

I suppose Avis took the conservative approach with their response to me with their advice just to be safe - "it may affect your rate".
Perhaps individual franchises may be able to make up their own rules on this specific matter as there may not be a 'blanket rule' across every Avis location?

Last edited by Adam1; Jan 12, 2019 at 9:53 pm