FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your Operational Upgrade Experiences 2019 - Please Post Here
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:37 pm
flydesire

Programs: Skywards
Upgrade Given: M-F
Upgrade Location: Check-In counter
Route: MEL-DXB
Flight Number: EK409
Type of Ticket: Economy Flex
Date of Travel: 16 December, 2018
Tier Status: Blue
Tier Miles: 16,000
Skywards Miles Balance: 31,000
Number of Pax on the same PNR (including OP): 1
Number of Pax Upgraded: 1

I think this was my lucky day.
I have been a blue member for 5+ years now. On Dec 11th, I booked a last minute ticket to travel on the 14th, and then had to change it to the 16th of Dec (hint: paid ~ $300 for change). Before I got to the airport, I tried online check-in, but I was unable to select my seat so left it without update. At the check-in counter, I was the first one in line (honestly, I was hungry and needed to check-in ASAP to get ride of my luggage and enjoy my late lunch). The guy at the check-in counter took my luggage and asked me If I have checked-in online already, I said "Yes but it wasn't completed" . He asked me to wait a moment, made a phone call to his supervisor, mumbled for second, and told me "I have a better seat for you". Me: "is it a window seat or a business seat you mean?". He handed me the ticket, and I couldn't believe it!!!! It was my very first experience in business class for 14+ hrs flight. The best trip ever! :-:

Hopefully luck smiles at me on the 17th this month for my return trip.