FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:15 am
Counsellor

Originally Posted by Finkface
Can someone shed some light on this for me? I must be really dumb but I don’t get the value of the TP.

What am I missing? Is ‘buying’ 50k miles for 135,000 MR points or 100k miles for 210,000 MR that good of a deal?
As others have noted, the former Travel Packages were the "good deal". That was because of the miles part of the package. Essentially you were paying full price for the rooms and getting the miles at a cost of 1 mile for 1 MR point. That is now history.

To answer the second set of questions, it depends on how you value MR points and airline miles (and each airline has its own price for their miles, with a few variations such as bonus sales) Personally, I value MR points at about one cent each (because I am able to redeem them for rooms at about that rate). I believe you can buy them at 1.25 cents per point. I value United miles at about 1.5 cents each, again based on what I can redeem them for. (At one time I valued the miles at about two cents each, but that is also history.) Based on those comparative values, the miles would be costing you 2.7 cents in the first case, and 2.1 cents in the second; so in my opinion neither is a good deal.