FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Economy
Thread: Premium Economy
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:50 am
TimDP

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Annaer
Hi!
Thinking about going to Los Angeles in sept/oct and wondering about premium/plus economy.
I will be travelling from Gothenburg (GOT) - Los Angeles (LAX).
When I use different search-engins the best prices and duration seems to be British Airlines, Finn Air, LOT polish airlines and Lufthansa. LOT only fly 787-8 to LAX and the other carriers vary.

Anyone have any experience about flying premium with these to the US or specifically LAX? The short haul from GOT to whichever hub they use don't matter cause that is just a few hours. I'm wondering about the crossatlantic haul.

// Anna
I have flown PE thanks to free upgrades, every time on the way back home so not yet to the US (upgrade to PE on BA: Tokyo - London, New York - London, Chicago - London, upgrade to PE on Cathay: Cairns - Hong Kong). For my next holiday (road trip in Canada, May 22 - June 15, flying BA: Brussels - LHR - Vancouver / Calgary - LHR - Brussels), I bought a PE ticket for the first time ever, paying €850 euro, about €150 more than economy at the time of booking. As I consider €750-850 a good deal for flights to the west side of North America, the price in PE was within the budget I had in mind. In the meantime, economy for the same flights is slightly more expensive than what I paid, the price for premium economy has become €1860 so I think I bought my ticket at the right time

PE has a smaller cabin, so less disturbance by other people. The seats are also wider and offer more legroom which makes it a bit easier to sleep (although I'm able to get some sleep even in economy). For the way to the US, getting sleep is probably less important as it is a day flight, but for the way back it can be useful. Food should also be a little bit better, but that's open for discussion and also personal taste. On BA there is also a larger bagage allowance (2 bags instead of 1) in premium economy which can be useful if needed. I assume other carriers have similar rules.

If the price difference is small enough and within the budget I had in mind, I pay for a higher class. Business (or first) is out of my personal budget unless some deals that can be found on FT. In the last year and a half I have experienced Business and First thanks to use of Avios or thanks to business trips but the price difference is just too big most of the time in case of leisure travel. I rather spend the price difference on things during my holiday than on flights. Cause at the end, all passengers arrive at the same destination.