FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lake Placid Lodge - Beautiful Property - Terrible Service
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:01 pm
chelsea2

Programs: AA Plat
Lake Placid Lodge - Beautiful Property - Terrible Service

Recently returned from a four night stay at the Lake Placid Lodge over the New Year's holiday and I am sorry to report that this property seems to have really gone down hill in the service department. On a positive note, the Lodge and Cabins are really lovely with gorgeous views over Lake Placid. Our cabin Eagles Eyre, was right on the lake with a large picture window with uninterrupted views of the beautiful scenery. The cabins are rustic log cabins, with large fireplaces, beds made from logs and a spacious seating area. Bathrooms are adequate but probably have not been refreshed for over a decade. The Lodge itself is sort of an Adironack fantasy - all decked out for Christmas with christmas trees and roaring fires in every room. The food served at Artisan's and Maggie's Pub is also very tasty and well prepared although perhaps somewhat limited in choices for a multi-night stay.

This was our first stay although we had always heard terrific things about the property with favorable comparisons to The Point (where we have stayed twice) as both properties used to share the same ownership. Our experience at these two properties could not have been further apart. We were traveling with friends and had booked two LakeFront Cottages - with plans to celebrate a birthday and New Years in rustic beauty with the added bonus of traveling with our dogs. The service issues started to present before arrival when we tried to inquire about any plans the property might have for News Years festivities. I called on two separate occasions in October and again after Thanksgiving and was told they had not yet organized anything. In mid December our friend's received a voicemail asking if they would like to reserve a time for the 7 course NYE dinner at Artisan's - she tried to call back five times and left messages and never got a return call. About ten days later they called me and asked about dinner - I explained that we were traveling together (as the reservations were linked) and that we had been unable to reach them - the woman explained that she was very busy as they had a full property and at this point she only had remaining seatings at 6 or 10pm. A little frustrating - but I was not that worried at this point. When we arrived - at about 2:30pm our room was not ready (okay check-in not until 4pm) so we went and had lunch - while they watched our dogs. Our friends arrived about an hour later and were checked in - but our room still not ready so we went with them and hung out in their room - the front desk said they would call. By 5pm - no call - so we called the front desk - no answer. Called again and they said 15 more minutes. Finally they called back and said they would meet us at our cabin with our car, luggage and dogs. We get to the cabin - no-one is there - about 5 minutes later - they arrive with the dogs on foot - no car/luggage. We said where is the car? Response - what car? So another 15 minutes later they bring the car and luggage. 15 minutes later they knock on our door for turn down service - we said please come back later - they never returned - no turn down that night.

At about 7:30 the four of us headed over to Maggie's Pub (their casual dining option) for dinner. The place was packed (with guests and non-guests), we asked one of the servers about a table for four - she looked at us with wide eyes and said "It is first come, first serve and we are full". I asked if we could put our names on the list while we had a drink - she said "there is not list and we are full". Finally another server took pity on us and said okay wait here and I will take your name - after waiting 10 minutes at the bar to try and get the bartender's attention - my husband lost patience and suggested we try and see if they had a table at Artisan's. The restaurant was basically empty but the hostess - said she would have to check to see if she could seat us - 5 minutes later she returns and says okay. Service at dinner was pretty slow and awkward. Every time they came to refill water glasses, they would ask each person if they wanted water (probably heard that question at least 20 times at dinner). Food was pretty good - so the kitchen is okay but front of house needs an overhaul.

Next day at breakfast - we are the only people in the restaurant it takes 30 minutes and food has not arrived - we ask what is up. We are told they will go check - 5 mins later server comes back and says we have a ton of room service orders so you are behind those. Then when finishing breakfast each day (it was included in the rate) we are handed the check and reminded that it does not include the gratuity.

On NYE - they served a 7 course special menu at Artisan's we arrived for our reservation which was quite early (see above) and we placed at a tiny table (really a two top) that was set for four. Next to it was a table twice the size set for four. We asked if we could sit at the more spacious table in front of the fire. They said yes that would be okay and we were seated. A few minutes later the manager rushes in and says oh no you can't sit here - I need that table for a group of 10 that is coming in at 8pm. We are moved back to the small table - no gesture is made to make up for the awkwardness. After dinner it is quite early so we moved to Maggie's Pub where they are having some live music and will show the ball drop. Around 11pm, we are feeling a bit peckish - and ask if we can order some snacks and are told the kitchen is closed. I ask if they have anything available (chips, peanuts, pretzels etc...) - but no they have no food at all. It is NYE - they have 50 people drinking in the bar and no food to offer anywhere??

On the housekeeping front - the room does not ever seem to be vacuumed, and there is a lot of sand everywhere to combat the snow and ice - so it gets tracked in every time you enter the room. At turn down - the person who brings in the logs leaves muddy, wet footprints across the floor every night (except for the night there is no turn down). We also notice that the fire pit by the lake - has dirty cocktail glasses from the prior night's guest left out on the chairs that are not cleared away until 4pm the next day.

Finally upon checkout - our bill was totally messed up. They were asked to divide charges across the two rooms and bill us separately. All charges were billed to my card and our friends were not even given a copy of the invoice.

My friend asked to speak to the manager to make them aware of the various lapses in service. The manager's response was that the property was at full capacity 34 rooms - and they were doing as much as could be expected. They said they were hesitant to promise ymore because they would probably not be able to deliver. Quite a lame response and in no way what you expect from a property charging $1,100 per night on top of which there is a 12% service charge and a $75 per pet daily fee bringing this to $1500 per night for accommodation. With this level of service - just not acceptable.

Management is not setting a luxury tone at this property, the facility is luxury but the service feels like a mid level budget hotel. The staff seem ill trained in how to provide good service let alone luxury service. Generally the staff are nice and friendly just a bit clueless.

I am not looking for any type of restitution - just wanted to make the community here aware as I know this sometimes comes up when The Point and Twin Farms comparisons are being discussed.