FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt free night redemption in NYC out of whack?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:55 pm
spgplat21

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
I often use points to stay in NYC and begin to noticed how out of whack it is compared to Marriott.

Most Manhattan properties need at minimum 20K per night. Where as Marriott offers decent properties starting @ 25K. If you use 1:3 ratio, Hyatt is over charging IMHO.
For example, I love the Chelsea Hyatt House which charge 20K/night. Marriott is building a Moxy next door with opening date this Spring @ Cat 5 which is 35K Marriott points.
They also have a Moxy downtown at Cat 4 (25K).

Is it time for Hyatt to adjust NYC redemption rates to be on par with its competitors?
I agree they are currently high compared to Marriott, but after Marriott implements peak pricing and the new category later this year, they will be pretty close (especially at the higher end). Even with that though, Hyatt should have done a 5th night free a long time ago and 2 or 3 of the lower end NYC properties should still be Cat. 4 properties. I'm sure the Cat 1-4 CC nights were a huge part of those properties becoming Cat. 5, but the cash prices rarely, if ever, justify the Cat. 5 pricing.