FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Curious about AC's policy on lights out on daytime longhauls...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:40 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Putting aside the question of just how we know what the majority wants on any given flight, I think the notion of 'negatively impact' is worth exploring. Is natural light in the middle of the day offensive to most, or just to a few? For every person who woke at 2 or 3am in advance of the flight, there's somebody who woke at a more conventional hour. I'm sensing more of a personal preference than selfless advocacy for community rights.
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Nice try at playing the victim.
They "should be open"? Says who? Aviation health experts, particularly those who have researched the condition we call jet lag. In addition, are the customers who book daytime flights to specifically enjoy the view.

And "People have eye shades use them!" ??? Yes. That is why they are provided.

People have reading lights. Use them. I do, but they are ineffective in the prevention of jet lag

I'm shocked at the attitudes in this thread. "I'm going to do what I want even if it negatively impacts the vast majority of other passengers. My needs are more important." LOL. That's your position, not ours. You are trying to justify the denial of light. And yes, the customers who have specifically selected a daytime flight have a reasonable expectation of natural light.

BTW, I am the guy who intentionally pulls up the window shade in the J rear cabin lav on the 787.
Actually, I haven't expressed a personal opinion on this in this thread.

I've only rebutted the people who have said it's their right to flood the cabin with light, with examples of why their arguments are nonsense.

Even the jet lag aspect - that very much depends on where you're coming from, and where you're going to. How many passengers on LHR-YYZ are connecting to another timezone?

It's the "I woke up at 2am and am flying YYZ-HKG where I terminate my journey and therefore we should all have natural light during the hours that suit me" that I take issue with, because it is completely selfish and gives absolutely zero consideration to anyone else in the cabin.

Sometimes it may make more sense to be bright. Sometimes dark. But the "always my way because I booked the window seat" attitudes are bizarre.