FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Department of State Issues - Travel Advisory for China
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:49 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by alphaod
Don't say or do anything political. That's it.
I really don't know why anyone would want to participate in politics in any country other than his or her own. That's a bit like commenting about the way things are run in someone else's house. Whether you think it's the best run place in the world or you think it's the worst, it's not your place to comment on it. If you don't like the way things are run there, you can always just leave.

I mean, for those of us who aren't Chinese, what would you think if some Chinese citizen went to a political event in your country? Personally, I'd think it was a bit strange, even if I agreed with the cause they claim to support, because they're not "one of you" (aka a member of the group that consists of citizens of your country). After they become a permanent resident or become a citizen or even have something other than a short term visitor visa, it's different, but short term visitors at political events? That just seems...wrong. Now, if it's YOUR country, you can't just go home, you ARE home, and participating in politics is okay.

Originally Posted by kapooncha
True but I don't think the fear is losing my life. The fear is not being able to leave or being held for questioning.
Yeah but what would the Chinese gain by holding you? Chances are, unless you're someone like Elon Musk, Tim Cook, Sergey Brin, etc., they wouldn't gain anything. And Elon Musk was actually in Shanghai recently so even with his fame, he's not concerned.

Last edited by STS-134; Jan 10, 2019 at 5:55 pm