FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Curious about AC's policy on lights out on daytime longhauls...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:48 pm
frayvr

Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
Thought I would put this out to the collected minds here and hopefully someone from AC will see and respond too. Just back home from SCL. The flight departed late to YYZ at 11:15am, Lunch was served around 12:30 and then cleared by 1:30. Then PE and Y were plunged into darkness - not even any mood lighting - and the windows were centrally faded to black. So there we were (we were in PE) sitting in the pitch black all the way to YYZ in the middle of the day! I overrode my window 3 times to let in some light but each time after 10 mins it was returned to black. On my 4th attempt, it would not lighten up at all. So what gives? Is this the crew's way of keeping the masses subdued and undemanding? Once the meal was served, the ccrew disappeared until the snack (served in the semi dark). Then back to darkness! The light meal mentioned on the menu never appeared and no announcement was made about that. Our friends in "Signature Service" reported that their lights did not go out but the port side of the aircraft DID receive their second meal but the starboard side did not! It was a weird flight for sure but was wondering if this lights out issue was official policy. In case AC thinks otherwise, your passengers don't want to sit in the dark for 10 hours on a daytime flight....
Similar to your experience, on my recent post-christmas AC845 from FRA to YYC (departs FRA at around 1:30 pm and arrives at YYC at around 3 pm with a 9h flight) after meal service, the entire plane was centrally darkened. In Signature Class, mood-lightning was turned on to a light blue hue. Windows were workable around three hours prior to landing. Had no issues with the meal service though.