FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Complimentary Upgrades Work
View Single Post
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:06 pm
DaveH

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for posting this bizzare experience. I think your calm description is commendable given the circumstances. I tend to be calm and forgiving myself, but would find this quite upsetting.

Originally Posted by milypan
Is it common for AS to split PNRs even when the customer never requests it? On UA they would specifically ask if you wanted to split the PNR. Knowing this might happen at an AS employee's whim certainly makes me more nervous when traveling with small children.
No, not at all. Moreover, in this case, splitting PNRs means that someone subject to Alaska's minors policy is travelling on their own PNR. This is technically allowed provided an adult's PNR is linked to theirs, but hardly best practice.

My best guess is that none of the three F seats were in the same half-row, and perhaps the agent intervened for this reason...? But even there, it's egregious to let a 2 year old fend for themselves in coach...

I'd definitely take this up with Alaska listens. You both should have cleared the upgrade list.