FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:46 pm
thesun

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Curious if anyone has a rational explanation for this situation other than the upgrade system just doesn't work correctly.

A320 out of BWI, 7/12 booked at about T-48. BWI is generally not elite heavy. We have two reservations:

Res1, G fare:
  • myself, 1K
  • companion1, general member
Res2: also G, booked as soon as possible after the first reservation
  • Mrs. thesun, 1K
  • companion2, general member
Res1 got upgraded at 3 minutes before T-24, so before check-in. Res2 was checked in and split a few minutes after T-24. After 2 hours, Mrs. thesun was down to #9 on the upgrade list and companion2 was #11 .

Theoretically, when I got upgraded, Mrs. thesun should have been next up and companion2 should be somewhere below her. So for her to drop down to #9 is surprising. It seems unlikely that in 2 hours, 9 1Ks or GS bought higher fare tickets, or 9 people put in mile or instrument supported upgrade requests. I suppose it's possible there were groups of 3 or 4 that got skipped since there was insufficient inventory to upgrade them all at once. Also seems unlikely as all different last names. But who knows, all I can see is what the app tells me.

All the scenarios I can think of seem rather unlikely. It is possible that the system didn't work correctly to my benefit - I could have been higher in the list than I should have. Which would fall into the category of system not working correctly.