FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd)
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:59 pm
hipquest

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by setalpgninnpseki
Hello all. Longtime lurker here with a quick question (now that I'm in the right place).

A friend and I are flying from BNA to MEX for a long weekend soon. We booked basic economy tickets on American Airlines roundtrip. My friend's work changed her plans, and her work is booking a separate ticket for her to fly out earlier on Sunday than anticipated. Is this going to cause an issue? Can she still fly down on the roundtrip ticket and fly back separately? Does this being international complicate anything? I've read some about airlines reacting negatively to "throwaway ticketing", but we aren't trying to deliberately avoid paying them anything, so I'm unsure how to proceed. Our tickets are also on one booking if that information helps. Any help would be much appreciated!
A similar situation happened to my husband in May (we were on same PNR) but we were coming back from Hawaii. Multiple AA reps advised us not to change anything on our reservation because of rates, etc. He was getting off on a connecting flight while I continued home. I would recommend that when you check in for your return that you inform AA that your companion had to get an earlier flight home.