FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Drugs (medicine) and flying
View Single Post
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:08 pm
pon18n

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by nancypants
If you need help with getting sleep on planes, the best plan is to see your doctor for something appropriate
My first intention was not for the purpose of sleeping, but I just got out of surgery and a lot of pain was still involved. At the point I had been taking Norco for pain reliefs for a few days with no side effects besides drowsiness. I took another dose before the flight.

While on the flight, I started having headaches and trouble of sleeping. I figured I could keep trying to fight the headaches the entire time, or pop another dose that might knock me out for the remainder of the time.

Looking back at it, it seemed as if that may have a lot to do with the morphine speaking and making that decision. I was not aware of the complications with cabin pressure at the time and I was clearly not having any severe side effects on the ground. The doctor also knew I was traveling but did not give me any specific instructions regarding the plane.

Looking back at it, did I regret taking it? Hell yeah. The (vague) memory of it still haunts me. But given what I knew at the time? I probably would've made the same mistake, possibly with the help of decision being impaired by the drugs.

Opiates and high altitude don't mix. I learned that the hard way . I wish someone else had told me this sooner.