FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:49 am
drseagrass

I am mystified why I received the challenge invitation to Platinum Pro on January 8. I have flown on AA twice in the past 36 months, both times in economy and connecting to and from other flights at LHR. At those times I was incentivized to fly on AA because they were on friendlier terms with Alaska Air and it was possible to get MCE seats for the trans-Atlantic legs as an Alaska MVPG and I credited the mileage to Alaska. Unless AA cross-referenced information such as my known traveler number used on those flights to my AAdvantage number, I don’t think they had any way to connect me with my AAdvantage number. My AAdvantage account has had no AA flight activity in a number of years. Now that the miles universally expire every 18 months, I’ve had to make some effort to keep it active; I have had the account since the mid-1980’s and I have accumulated several hundred thousand lifetime miles with AA, although the account has very few miles in it now. If there is some algorithm that they are using that is different from random, maybe there are just picking out AA accounts with minimal activity that flyers are keeping alive to try and identify people who might take an interest in moving their business, although again I don’t know how they can identify good customers for competitors. It won’t be of much value to me---most travel in the next four months until May 15 is already mapped out, and AA doesn’t actually go where I need to go that often. Also now that most AA benefits for Alaska customers (and vice versa) have been eliminated, there is little incentive to go through the trouble of connecting at LHR, which I have found consistently stressful and unpleasant.