FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for 5 nights in LA (previously: SFO or LAX in Nov/Dec?)
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:17 am
CaliforniaSteve

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Bay Area Native Here

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Just a quick question about SFO vs. LAX as a vacation destination: which one would you recommend in Nov/Dec? Would of course rent a car and stay probably a week. Travelling solo and not interested in sunbathing etc. Not looking for Venice Beach or alikes. More into walking, driving by car and doing public transportation to museums, nice sites and seeing also some less usual things. Heck, even going to Goodwill is fun for me.

I'm most likely doing 'Frisco, but never been to either - yet, so happy for any quick thoughts from ya'll.
Yeah, calling it Frisch will get some people’s knickers in a twist. The hills in SF can be daunting to a newbie, particularly in the rain, but a little care is all that’s needed. The bigger problem about driving in SF is that the traffic is simply horrendous and parking is at a premium, and the price reflects it. There’s also a problem associated with parking that involves an epidemic level of vehicle break-ins. LA probably has similar issues, but you need to be sure not to leave anything in plain sight.

Transit is easier in SF, but just be aware that it’s not exactly a comfortable way to ride. Buses and trains are pretty poorly maintained and are very dirty. If you’re traveling in or near the core area, it’s likely you’ll have a homeless person or mentally unstable person on the bus part of the way. Schedules, depending on the particular line, are more honored in the breach. But I would still guess that at least availability is better than LA.

weather wise at that time of the year, LA wins hands down. Based solely on the weather, I’d pick LA in winter and summer. Spring and fall, I’d pick SF.