FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit card Asia Miles earning opportunities (HK) 2019
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:05 pm
Kilian Zoll

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by barracuda93
The only country where I know it's perfectly affordable is Russia LOL. In Taiwan it's 35000 TWD per year, which is completely insane. Can't imagine how people justify that (for miles earning there are better cards).
In certain markets (possibly HK and TW) I think there are some people who are willing to pay a premium for the just the 'status' of having a metal Amex Plat card even if benefits aren't that great.

The card is very reasonable in Scandinavia -- about HKD 3,500 if I remember correctly, typically with the first 3 months (i.e. 25% of annual fee) waived as well. A bit more in the US but the card comes with many benefits that aren't available elsewhere.

In Australia I think I paid about $1,500 AUD (similar to the HK fee) but there the card comes with something like 150k miles (transferrable to any Membership Rewards partner) and $500 AUD travel credit -- i.e. actual benefits that offset the high fee.