FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OMNI NYC apartment search clinic
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:52 am
turnleftbrighteyes

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
You should totally be able to find a studio or 1-bedroom for around $2,000-2,300 in Yorkville or Spanish Harlem, or generally east of 3rd Avenue above the mid-80s. (That's the current price in my building, at any rate. I have a decently-sized 1 bedroom.) It would be an easy commute to midtown east. At that price range, you're looking at a walk-up, certainly without a doorman or other amenities. If you walk around my neighborhood I see plenty of signs on buildings advertising vacancies right now.

If you must have an elevator, doormen, laundry in building, and the like, then you're mostly looking at the bigger buildings, many of which have incentives like one month free and no broker's fees, which maybe work out if you're just staying year, but you're generally starting at $3,500+ for 1- bedrooms.

Good luck! NYC real estate is a special level of hell, and reminds me that I never, ever want to move again.

And, editing to add: I've lived off the G. I've lived off the L. Both were commutes to midtown east, several years ago when service was if anything rather more reliable than it is now. NEVER AGAIN. And certainly not now, Lpocalypse or not. And most of cool Brooklyn is way more expensive than the staid world of the (non-fancy) UES.