FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Short check Luggage
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:21 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Yenakad
I post the same question in the Premium Fare discussion but need advise from a frequent AA flyer about the policy of short check baggage and their cut-off time for long layovers.

I plan to book the HKG-LAX-MIA-CUN biz fare (one way) for around USD 1‘100 and skip the last leg (MIA-CUN). I booked a separate QR award ticket (MIA-DOH-BKK) as my return flight back to Asia.

I will have checked luggage for my HKG-LAX-MIA flight which is my concern that AA check it trough to CUN.

I tried to have as long layover in MIA for the flight to CUN as possible. I found now a connection in MIA to CUN which takes 14hours 23 minutes (it’s same day, not overnight). Can someone please advise if I’m able to get my luggage in MIA and skip my MIA-CUN flight?
1) Cross-posting is not allowed on FlyerTalk.

2) What you’re proposing is known as hidden city ticketing. As it’s against the airline rules, you’re dealing with some degree of risk. Off schedule operations mean your bag(s) will probably end up in Cancún, and it’s possible you’ll never see them again.

AA will not short check as you wish. The only possible scenario is if you book with more than a 12 hour stay in Miami (23 hours is okay on international fares), in which case AA doesn’t retain baggage on connections over 12 hours, and you seem to have that taken care of. Significant OSO May still result in baggage heading to CUN.

3) Discussion of how to cheat or defraud an airline is prohibited on FkyerTalk; AA corporate security do read this forum and follow up on members violating their rules they discover here.

FlyerTalk Rules:

Deceptive, Dishonest, Illegal Or Fraudulent Posting link to this rule

Posts that misquote or mischaracterize other posts or members, or contain deceptive, dishonest or knowingly inaccurate information are not allowed.

Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited.
There is an existing thread for discussing hidden city ticketing. This thread is now closed.