FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:33 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by s_sandy2784
Hi I have a ticket from SFO(San Francisco) to DEL(India) through PVG on China Eastern airlines. I booked the cheaper ticket with a 20 hour layover in PVG. I thought Indian Passport holders are qualified for 24 hour TWOV, but China eastern airlines rep told me thats not true apparently and might need Visa. I have read numerous posts in this forum and else where and looks like China rep is wrong.

Can someone help me with official documentation which I can show at the time of check in? OR is the best way to just go ahead and get a visa in SFO China embassy?

I just don't want to be denied boarding because of airline crew's lack on knowledge as I have 20 hour layover and don't have a Visa.

Thanks for the help.
Call centre representative for China Eastern? Futile exercise and more than likely to just cuse you stress They are not experts. The people with the knowledge are those at check-in as they deal on a daily basis with eligibility.

The wiki at the top of the page has full information on the different types of TWOV (except for the 144 hour which is not updated). Importantly India is not excluded.

in general, TWOV is available for all natinalities unless excluded. The 72-hour and 144-hour versions are limited to certain nationalities.

Yuo will be allowed to avail yourself of TWOV - so boarding the plane shouldn't be a problem. Part 2 is whether you will be granted an entry permit so you can leave the terminal and enter China (assuming you don't want to spend 20 hours sitting waiting).

The entry permit is at the discretion of immigration officers. There are various restrictions and reports of all nationalities being refused entry for transits anywhere from 8-17 hours. But none in particular referencing Indian nationals. If you have a hotel reservation you'd probably have a good chance of getting an entry permit. Otherwise, worst case, you'll have to wait it out.