FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying/Renewing Global Entry w/ Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Charges/Convictions
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:46 am
Randyk47

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LenaRae
I am a US citizen applying for global entry. In 2014 I was arrested for misdimeanor theft (shop lifting) at the age of 24 (stupid i know). I was not convicted because I completed community service in an Adult Diversion Program. I can't find any records in my county and state of the incident, but i am sure there is still something out there that they will find during their background check. I am planning to answer No to having ever been convicted of a crime, but in the follow up question where it asks if you've every been arrested i plan to say yes and give the year and say that i was not convicted. Because this incident was within the last 10 years, what are the odds that i will be approved? I don't want to go through the hassel of paying the fee and traveling to have the interview if i will ultimately be denied - looking for any insight ya'll can provide!

** I should also note, that applied and was APPROVED for TSA Pre-Check after this incident occured and was resolved. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Honesty is absolutely the best policy so you’re correct you have to answer yes to any arrest. How they will look at the community service in lieu of conviction I can’t say. Reading through the numerous posts on the approval process is a bit of a fog as reports of approval or denial seem to be inconsistent. Some folks appear to be approved with what would seem to be potentially significant issues while others are turned down for what seem like minor issues. Probably goes back to the honesty issue but not sure. Approval for TSA PreCheck doesn’t mean a whole lot since the qualification bar is much higher.