FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complaint for poor service on MCO-AMS flight
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:35 am
jspruit

Programs: Delta, SAS
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Welcome to Flyertalk and the Delta Forum, jspruit
It would be helpful if you would describe the issues which led to your letter of complaint
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll check out the compensation thread for more information. In the meantime I can provide some more info about the case:
As some background information, I usually travel alone internationally in economy or Comfort Plus for work and I'm fairly no frills - no dietary requirements, aisle seat, headphones on, etc. But on this flight I was flying with my wife (vegetarian and prone to travel sickness) as well as my three small children under the age of 10 (two of which are prone to travel sickness). As some of you know, travel can be stressful with a group like this and the service we received didn't help out at all. In general, our complaints were mostly subjective and were the sort of thing that left a bad impression and made the trip more difficult and deemed a response from us we thought. Here are a few of the instances that I described in my complaint letter to Delta:
We sat near the back of the plane and there were some free seats around us - we asked one of the flight attendants if we could move around and have some of the free seats and were told that we could do that as soon as boarding was complete. Once boarding was complete, we spaced out in the same row as directed by the same flight attendant. A few minutes later we were told by another flight attendant that "You can't do that" and we responded that the other flight attendant said that was alright only to be told "That was wrong" and pointed to return to our normal seats.
During boarding, one flight attendant was confirming that people that ordered special meals and skipped our row. When I asked the same flight attendant to confirm that my wife's vegetarian meal was onboard, I was told that it wasn't without them even checking the list. When I showed them the sticker on the back of her seat indicating a special meal was ordered, the same flight attendant then said "Oh well I guess it is." This was distinctly different service than the two women in front of received when they were asked very specifically about their dietary restrictions and if there was anything else special that they needed. When the flight attendant left after that encounter, the women in front of us turned around and offered their meal to my wife if she didn't receive hers. When it came time to serve the meals, they didn't give my wife her vegetarian meal and when we asked about it we were told that there may be extra in the back and we will have to check ourselves after all of the other passengers were served. This seems strange considering we ordered the vegetarian meal when we bought the tickets and later confirmed the vegetarian meal a week before flying with the airline. Finally, the team leader arrived with a vegetarian meal for my wife after we went to the back and asked for one and blamed the delay on the fact that we switched seats (although we were all still clearly sitting in the same row) and told us that "We can't do that - how do they know where we are sitting then?" even though we moved the special meal sticker to the new seat as requested by one of the other flight attendants.
There was unfortunately some turbulence during the flight and at one time both my wife and son were puking in the sick bags. When the flight attendant walked by our seat I asked for some more sick bags and was told "We are starting meal service now" and they continued walking away. After meal service I went back to the plane and asked the flight attendant for more sick bags and was asked where the used sick bags were and I responded that I put them in the bathroom trash chute. I was told that this wasn't the correct procedure and that I needed to place them in a separate trash bag. I was then given a trash bag and asked to collect any of the other used sick bags and return it to a special compartment in the bathroom. The bathroom was closed at that time I came back to the back of the plane and I still had family members that were getting sick (keeping used sick bags around people that are getting sick usually isn't a good thing) and the flight attendant refused to take care of the special trash bag because he was preparing for a drink service.
All of the above was served with a nice level of passive aggressiveness that I would have expected from a snarky comic sitcom rather than an airline. Unfortunately, I was not able to make a complaint in person as when we were leaving the plane one of my kids was still nauseous and the majority of the rudeness came from the team leader himself.
I suppose that the above may seem trivial to some people and are 'first-world' problems but they seem counter to the level of service that we've received in normal economy seating on other airlines and it seems like a bit of courtesy and manners would have made non-issues out of the above instances. As an affirmation that we weren't the worst flying family in the world (my wife was feeling guilty by this time thinking that we had done something wrong somehow to offend the flight attendants), after the flight we had multiple people sitting around us tell us how well behaved our children were considering the rudeness of the service that we received.
Venting over for now....