FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:15 pm
nsummy

I'm not an extensive nyc traveler but over the years I think I have ran the gauntlet of the SPG properties there. If you sort by distance and filter properties 0-5 miles, you will get mostly Manhattan properties. Filtering by brand makes it easier also. A few opinions, ranked in no particular order:

1. Edition - Stayed there on nye this year and won't stay there ever again. It was my 2nd stay there over 2 years and both times the same mediocre experience. This time I didn't even have a single bottle of water in my room. Check-in feels like you are checking in for a doctors appointment. If you are platinum expect them to simply tell you they have the number on file instead of thanks for the loyalty (again, its like your MR number compares to an insurance card). I mean its not a bad hotel, but for the price, not even close to worth it. You can read my review here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...k.html?m=19905

2. W Union Square - Legit place, treated pretty well despite no upgrade. The room I got hadn't been cleaned at all, looked like a party had taken place (i took the bottle of red wine from the mini bar as compensation haha). They gave me a new one immediately. This W doesn't feel like a W at all to be honest. Lots of whites and tans and brighter colors. People say its the best W in nyc but I think that's just because it doesn't feel like a W. Its only a few blocks away from the Edition and I think if that is the area and type of hotel you want, hands down choose Union Square W over Edition.

3. Renn Midtown - I've only stayed here once and right when they opened. I was only a gold member and they upgraded my room. the lounge was closed so they gave me $50 to use in the restaurant, which was cool. The restaurant is probably the best "rooftop" bar in midtown (of course the bar isnt set high) but its my understanding that its frequented by a lot of locals. Its supposed to be technologically advanced but I didn't notice anything beyond the confusing elevators, which they also have at Edition.

4. Sheraton Tribeca - Its a zoo full of tourists but its not bad for a Sheraton. Free wine and beer in the lounge at night. My expectations are generally low for Sheratons, but this one is generally cheap and in a good location.

5. Element Times Square West - I think this place is the diamond in the rough. Despite the policy of no upgrades I got one anyway, along with a welcome gift. They had free wine at night too and a free breakfast that was beyond legit also. Plus its far away enough from Times Square. This would honestly be my vote if the rate is cheap. By far the nicest rooms. I think its a newer hotel. Only con is their elevators, I think they only have 2 or 3.

6. Westin Grand Central - Seems like a standard Westin, pretty large though. I think I would have gotten an upgrade if I didn't actually require 2 beds.

7. The Maxwell. This used to be the original W but I think it got beat down so much in reviews that they decided they didn't want the W name associated with it. Don't get me wrong, the rooms are kind of rundown (mine once had what I *hope* was a wine stain on the carpet), but I think it has been overblown. I think with the name change and bad reviews they have put in the effort to improve the service. I have also noticed their rates have gone down also. Seems like almost all of their rooms are available so good chance of an upgrade. Might be worth it to not book the cheapest room here though just in case the stars don't align. The cozy room looks like a jail cell.

8. W Times Square. Probably what I consider the best W in NY, but neck and neck with the W downtown. The real con with this place is that it is literally in times square. Tons of people around and the uber drivers always get confused (probably because they are used to throngs of clueless people ordering ubers around there). But go up into the elevators and its like you just went from mayhem to luxury. Cool lobby, and is quiet. My ny friends made fun of me for staying there and were mad they had to come to Times Square but they were also up in my room taking a million photos out of the windows. Id recommend this place if the rate is good.