FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:56 am
QueenOfCoach

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by AndyB
Hello!

My first AA J flight tomorrow, LHR to LAX, then I’m connecting to a flight to LAS but the connection time is only 1 hour and 50 minutes, assuming the flight lands on time..

Couple of questions please..
1/Will my luggage be checked through all the way Vegas or will I have to pick it up and then check in all over again in LA?
2/ If yes to checked through, the arrival gate is 41 and the departure gate is 42B, looking at the map it’s 30 yards apart.. I’m guessing I’ll have to clear immigration first though? Is there a flight transfers immigration area and is it any faster?

How close am I cutting this? Yesterday’s flight landed almost 50 minutes late..

Thanks in advance!
Here are some very specific instructions:

1. Assuming you land at T4 Gate 41, you should be directed to the T4 CBP area. Walk down some hallways, down an escalator, just follow the crowd.

2. Get through the two steps of CBP: Immigration and Customs. I am assuming you are not a US Citizen and don't have Global Entry. If that is correct, then stand in the "Non US Citizen" line. This could take a while.

3. Once you collect your checked luggage, get in line for the Customs check. This is usually fairly rapid.

4. Past Customs, now that you are "officially landed" in the US, there is a baggage re-check area. Your checked luggage will already have LAS tags from London, so just hand over your checked luggage to the airline employees there. This should be a matter of seconds. I have, in the past, just shoved my tagged, wheeled luggage in their direction without even breaking stride.

5. Keep on going until you get into the Arrivals part of the airport, where you will see meeters-and-greeters.

6. Now, you have to go from landside to airside. You need to go upstairs from the Arrivals level to the Departures level, where you will go will through the usual TSA checkpoint just like all departing passengers. There is an elevator available, but I can't remember exactly where it is in relation to the CBP exit point. Ask an airport employee to point you in the right direction.

7. Once you are in the Departures level, take escalators up to the TSA checkpoint levels, go through the checkpoint, then proceed down the concourse to your departing gate.

Personally, I think you are cutting it close with 1 hour 50 minutes between flights, especially if you are not a US Citizen and don't have Global Entry. Flights start boarding about 20 minutes or so before flight time and they close the doors at T-10, or even earlier. However, you will be booked on a later flight if necessary.

I wouldn't worry much about getting First Class. It's a really short flight. You can put up with anything for a half hour or so.

If all else fails, you can rent a car and drive to Las Vegas. It's not that far. Besides, that means you will arrive in LV already in possession of a car and won't have to deal with that at the LV airport.

From where I live in north Los Angeles County, I NEVER fly to Las Vegas. I always drive my own car.