FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:06 am
kapooncha
Suspended

Originally Posted by mixmastermark
Since CX bookings are done over the phone, I'd assume the agents would put your middle name (if applicable) where it needs to go for you automatically?

I've had to cancel two JAL award F tickets booked on AS's website in the last 10days and roll the dice and attempt to rebook. My middle name is on my AS booking profile online (same as on passport) but due to an IT glitch, your middle name will not show on a JAL award ticket and will auto cancel/deny boarding (allegedly).

Both times, the AS international redemption agent has flagged it and claimed it needs to be cancelled (despite no available award showing) because they say I will be denied boarding.

They claim that JAL (as well as CX) will either auto-cancel reservations with/without middle names that do not match passport or worse yet, deny boarding at point of departure. Is this true? It's been quite a runaround dealing with AS reservations for an average of 1hr call times while abroad in Asia.

They claim that the reason is due to mileage fraud. Specifically, CX/MU/JAL in a few Asian countries fraudsters stealing your login credentials, booking last minute award tickets with your points. And then Alaska is left to foot the bill not only for the award flight that the imposter flew on the partner airline, but also reimburse the Alaska MP member for the missing points.

As a data point, two AS partner redemption agents have said you need to manually input your middle name in the same box as your first name, followed by a space, when booking on the AS website (despite your middle name being on your AS online profile). Has this always been the case?
I thought we've already cleared this up. Middle name not necessary for CX flights.