Old Jan 6, 19, 2:57 am
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by chunhw2792 View Post
I see lots of C/D/I on direct HAN/DAD/SGN-HKG flights, meaning CX is only giving up Vietnam-US premium business and carving out mistake fares. Pricing team must have run many scenarios all-night before honoring these tickets.

F seats would have flown mostly empty anyway, besides upgrades and redemption seats. As long as they can recoup the variable cost of serving additional passengers, CX must have considered that it is ok to honor these tickets

As many said, this is a lose situation for redemption/upgrade pax only
Sorry to strongly disagree with you.

Most regular paid First class pax book in A fare bucket. That's my case and my friends'. In the USA and Europe CX is (was) aggressively selling A fares at a discount of the F fare. From JFK F fare is around USD33k and A (ANYCR) is around USD19k. A ticket has a USD100 cancellation fee and free change fee. BUT NEEDS A AVAILABILITY. There are some periodic promotions below 19k.

Later you say that CX/KA availability VN-HKG is wide. That is simply untrue; it is dramatically less than a week ago. Only J remains. I know as I was planning to book tickets HKG-DAD and HKG-SGN where I often fly. Sure, you can still book on CX website the VN-operated flights but they are priced very expensive J as usual. Only on VN website can you book the cheap D or C business fare.

Last edited by brunos; Jan 6, 19 at 3:45 am