FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jan 5, 19, 12:44 pm
zippy_sd

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Greetings!

TLDR
I'm curious, how folks go about balancing "gaining status" with "using miles"? It appears, at least to this beginner, that the two are in direct conflict with one another, in that using miles typically results in few or no EQM/EQD earned, negatively impacting ability to reach or maintain status...

Longer version
I just started flying regularly for work domestically in 2018, usually take a trip or two for vacation as well, and was close enough at the end of the year that I learned about and executed my first mileage run... By their powers combined, I landed a shiny new Platinum Pro status for 2019! This travel also netted me about 120k RDM, and I do want to benefit from them. But now I'm torn, because I want to make EXP in 2019, and it seems that using miles in any way on flights will drastically reduce (mile+copay upgrade on a cash ticket) or even eliminate (award ticket) any EQM/EQD earnings. Is there a smart way to leverage miles while still growing and maintaining status? How do you go about balancing the two?

Cheers,
Zip