FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:49 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Because even though GCs work, it is an unfixed error on Amex's part, as they are not meant to, per their T&C's. Thus calling them risks raising the profile of this loophole more than necessary (though one could.make an argument that the endless blogging about it has undoubtedly made Amex aware already)
I'm not sure if it's an "unfixed error". It may instead by an "unfixable error". In other words, if AA is not providing them any information to be able to tell apart a gift card purchase from an allowed "incidental" purchase of the exact same amount, how are they supposed to know for sure whether it was a gift card or not?

Ie, it could be that they need cooperation from AA to be able to close this loophole completely.

Though why AA works for any amount up to the credit while DL works but only for $50 or smaller e-gift-cards, that's the part don't understand. Does DL show that it's a gift card if you buy more than $50 at a time?

Originally Posted by mia
This error has existed since 2010. The same error works with DL and WN. I do not think there is any reason to think that American Express is unaware.
But it's different. At AA you can apparently get the credit for any amount of gift card. At DLfor some reason it's doesn't work with gift cards greater than $50 each. Why is it that Amex can block gift cards above $50 with DL but can't block gift cards of any amount with AA?

I've never tried buying gift cards above $50 from DL online and thus I don't know if something comes across that identifies that, or if it's just because Amex and DL have a tight relationship and so DL provides extra data to them that AA doesn't?