FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2020] Conrad Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa {PYF}
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:01 pm
alanslegal

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FirstForTakeoff
Wasn't expecting one and wasn't willing to pay for one (had done OWV for free at Conrad Maldives), just wanted to provide a Gold data point during off season. Seems the Conrad doesn't hand out upgrades as liberally as the Le Moana, which upgraded me to an OWV for free without asking as a Platinum.
Seems like your most important preference is an OWV because you were happy when you got an OWV at the LM but felt a bit cheated at the Conrad when all they gave you was a Garden Villa (at least they didn't give you a one floor upgrade because that would be lame)

Now the Le Moana, to me, is a significant downgrade. The Le Moana's pool is one of the lamest pools I have ever seen for such a beautiful / higher end destination, is that all they can do? The Conrad's pool/sun lounges and bar/sunken tables and everything around it is gorgeous. The LM's villas all need to be rejuvenated but at least their base rooms are on the beach and steps away from the water versus the apartment style block of the Conrad.

Originally Posted by FirstForTakeoff
Having now been to the Conrads in Bora Bora, Maldives, and Koh Samui, I'd say I'd be most likely to return to the the Conrad Maldives, followed by the Conrad Koh Samui, and wouldn't return to the Conrad Bora Bora. In the Maldives, the OWVs are more private, have better views, and all have plunge pools + if you're stuck with a "base" room there, the beach villas in the Maldives are far superior to the "land" rooms in Bora Bora. Secondly, the breakfast spread in the Maldives was significantly better than in Bora Bora. With the Conrad Bora Bora, while the hard product is modern and nice, the resort is otherwise quite small and boring, and doesn't have the iconic "Bora Bora" views. That said, if you do go, I recommend going up to the Spa for sunset views, which were very nice!
We've been to Bora Bora twice, Maldives twice and Koh Samui once and would generally agree with you.

If you want social media envy photos or iconic Bora Bora photos then from the Thalasso is unbeatable. I would not go to French Polynesia for service or cuisine though. The positive is you can BYO duty free alcohol and have access the the main island for supermarkets, restaurants and off-resort activities.

Maldives have superior resorts overall and "being on a private island" versus those sharing motu / or main island at BB. Food does get better, so does service but I felt you end up paying more for it as well. Also you can't bring in alcohol.

Now Koh Samui, service and food is much better than Maldives but it doesn't have the same exotic ring to it like "The Maldvies" or "Bora Bora". People who don't know Koh Samui think it's just another not so expensive island in Thailand (and it can be), but then when you show them some nicer properties like the Conrad, W, FS, Banyan Tree and they see the prices - they're like woah, they're the same prices as Bora Bora / Maldvies.