FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:06 am
SilverChris

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I believe folks in Hong Kong - those of us who live here, work here, and must fly Cathay Pacific at least sometimes - are genuine stakeholders in Cathay Pacific. We live here for the most part, neighbors and friends are pilots, management and flight attendants, and some of us are genuine captives to fly CX a lot. The captive argument is a real one: we loyally contribute to CX, in part because we must(without seriously inconveniencing ourselves). Hell I have diversified a lot of business to JAL, Emirates and SQ mostly, but I still must fly CX to North America in particur if I am being honest with myself and my time.
Willingly being captive to CX's pricing strategy doesn't mean you're more genuine a customer to CX. I'm sorry but there are travellers based outside of HKG who also contribute a great deal to CX's bottom line and it's insulting to imply that their stake in CX is somehow less genuine.

But, still I see this as another mark where mostly overseas travelers benefit, at the expense of those (few) of us locals who pay the price. Again.
I fail to see the logic behind "overseas travelers" being made scapegoats. HKG-based travellers were not barred from buying this fare. If anything their proximity from HAN/DAD/SGN, places them at a much greater advantage over most who cashed in on this opportunity.

Being made to pay more to fly CX as a "local" is hardly the fault of "overseas" people. CX knows they can get away with charging the local market more for flying less because they can.

The consequences would be far more apparent if CX accidentally sold half a million economy tickets to overseas travels by mistske for $10 instead of $1000 (instead of mucking up premium classes as they did), since then a lot of HK people legitimately wouldn't be able to fly to see family overseas, and it would be a helluva ruckus.
I really wonder how many family reunions are ruined if HKers can't get a seat on CX Y and refuse to fly on the many other airlines that serve HKG.