FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unsuccessful in reserving a bassinet
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:12 am
09R

Unsuccessful in reserving a bassinet

Hi all,

Just wanted to get feedback on how to pursue a complaint.

We have flown QF9/10 3 times now in the past 6 months (QF9 twice and QF10 once) with 2 young children and an infant <1yr). On each occasion, we requested a bassinet at time of booking, and arrived at the airport early. Each time at check in, we were told that all bassinets had been "pre-allocated" (even though we weren't given this option over the phone) and that all positions were already occupied by "higher priority" infants - i.e. younger than ours.

However, each time we boarded the flight, we found at least 1 bassinet position not occupied by passengers travelling with infants. On one occasion, all three positions were occupied by adults only. This is extremely frustrating, especially when holding an infant for 17 hours straight! We last flew this flight on 1 Jan 2019 and thought we will do everything we can to get the bassinet. This led us to the Qantas service desk at PER. They told us that the reality of the situation is that Gold and Plat members have priority over those seats ahead of infants and that there was nothing they could do. This seams contrary to Qantas' stated policy.

So really my questions are:

1. Why didn't Qantas allocate us the bassinet?
2. Do status passengers have priority over infants? If not, why wasn't the protocol followed and why didn't the service desk help us?
3. Why don't Qantas allow bassinets to be reserved at the time of booking (like CX and BA)? This seems the fairest way to do things and avoids all of the unnecessary uncertainty they have created on the day of travel.

Also if it would be worth me taking things further or if I would be wasting my time?

Happy to answer any questions if I have missed any details