FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dreadful SYD T3 Lounge makes me long for an Admirals Club or even a United Club
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:12 am
SFO777
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
QF

My, my. I see we have a few apologists out today.
Come on now. That lounge was filthy and embarrassing.

Originally Posted by og
If the Qantas Club lounge is closed and everyone is directed to the Biz lounge, no wonder its crowded. And, the lounge is only as clean as the people who occupy it.
I have found that the staff who collect cutlery, crockery and rubbish do a great job and appreciate customers who show gratitude ( ie “ thanks “ ).
Oh, and you describe “ slop being offered “ but you failed to photograph whatever you are complaining about ( assuming it wasn’t the fruit salad or carrots ).

Point taken that the Club closure is going to exacerbate crowding in the Biz lounge. But QF should have prepared and anticipated the resulting carnage. Also agree that passengers can be slobs (as I noted in my post) but QF shares some responsibility for not adequately staffing or managing a lounge to keep it reasonably clean.

Originally Posted by mikalee
The Sydney Domestic Business lounge is not the shining star of QF lounges in Australia. This is simply due to the fact it will be the last one built/refurbished over the cycle of improvements. That said apart from the messiness of the place which I am surprised about if the QF Club was a planned closure for R&M I consider it to be at worst on par to the American lounges you so desire. It is a shame you did not get to experience the far superior PER, MEL or BNE equivalents. Oh and the carrots aren't provisioned for you to nibble but to juice. Enjoy Hamilton Island.
Hamilton Island was wonderful and we lucked out on the weather as well. Thanks mikalee. I'm hardly an AA fanboy, as I hate the new AA and the fact that USdbaAA management has trashed a historically good domestic product, but the current generation of Admirals Clubs are far cleaner and more civilized than what I witnessed in SYD. On this trip, we did experience the MEL domestic Qantas Club (meh), the BNE international Lounge (nice but small and crowded when they decide not to open the 2nd level... and far, far away from QF55 and Gate 86) and even Hobart (shocked that such a small station even has a lounge). As for the carrots, I didn't realize those were for juicing. Good thing I didn't try to eat one. BTW, we arrived back home today from BNE and thought of our SYD experience tonight at our nearby horse country grocery store.

And what's with the no alcohol before noon thing? Is that some local law or just QF trying to limit costs? I do like the "Thank you for your patience" humour though.

Originally Posted by secondsoprano
Not sure if this was your intention, but you do come across a teeny bit like entitled and whiny in this article.
I just call it like I see it and yes, I probably do come across as entitled and whiny to some. Then again, my perspective is probably broader than most. But are we really suggesting that the condition of the SYD lounge is acceptable or excusable?

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
That's more photos than I took on my last 3 month RTW trip!
LOL. Good one.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Jan 7, 2019 at 2:42 am Reason: Fixed quote